No, it’s not a mummy, it’s Lazarus in his burial wrap! What a great story in John 11. At first, it is sad because Lazarus has died, even though they begged Jesus to come and save him. But, then Jesus comes and does a miracle! All in His time.
This is a great story for the kids because it shows that Jesus cares, but He has the situation under control, even when our emotions cloud our faith. Some great things Jesus says in this story are:
- verse 4: “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”
- verse 9-10: “Are there not twelve hours of daylight?…It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”
- verse 11: “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”
- verse25-26: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
- one Lazarus person Lazarus Person Outline
- one straw or craft stick per person (this helps with durability and wrapping up Lazarus)
- toilet paper (imagine the giggles when you take that out!)
- crayons, tape, scissors
- something to cover the table
This is easy. Cut your copies in half because each kid only needs on body. Have the kids color the Lazarus and then cut him out. Tape on the straw and one end of the toilet paper and then you are all set. You can go through the story with their paper Lazarus and wrap/unwrap him as you read. Have fun!